“It’s SO hard to find, hire and retain great people in my market!”
If you have ever spoken these words, 1 of the following 3 things is true:
1. You live in a town/city filled with complete imbeciles
2. You are a terrible employer
3. You suck at recruiting
Here’s the deal:
Great people/employees—those we’d call “A Players”, are not surfing job ads on the internet—let alone in a newspaper (remember those?). They are working.
When they decide to stop working they are typically unemployed for a matter of hours, because they’re in demand.
So if you want to ATTRACT, HIRE, and RETAIN “A-PLAYERS, you need to sell them on the idea that working for you would be cool—and you have less than 2 minutes to do that.
“What can I communicate in 2 minutes?!”
How about this:
1. Biggest business goal of 2017.
2. The employee journey.
3. What it is like to work there?
4. What would my co-workers be like?
5. Who are they looking for?
6. What sort of experience do I need?
7. What is the culture like?
8. What opportunities are there for me?
Remember, the A-Team can get a job anywhere. If you want them, you’ve gotta sell convince them. Don’t forget that not all A-Players are your A-Players. They’re probably great people, but are they a good fit for your bar or restaurant?
Below is a short (2 minute) video from Chin Chin, a restaurant group based out of Sydney, Australia. In this video (created by them), they successfully check all the boxes discussed above.